This has been my go-to dinner this week, because I’ve been busy/lazy and it comes together super quickly. I realized recently that this meal is so yummy because it reminds me of something you might get at a hot dog stand, strips of sautéed peppers and onions, sauerkraut, mustard, sausage… it fills that craving for something fatty while staying within those beautiful bright lines. Be sure to check the ingredients of veggie sausage for flour & sweeteners. I like Tofurky Kielbasa or Italian Sausage and Field Roast’s Apple Sage Sausage.
Sausage, Kraut, & Greens
Each Serving Contains:
- 1 Veggie Serving (adjust quantity to your individual food plan)
- 1 Protein
- 1 Fat
- Bell Pepper
- Veggie Sausage
- 0.5 oz olive oil or other cooking oil of choice
- Salt & Pepper
*These measurements comply with the Bright Line Eating female weight loss food plan. Adjust quantities as needed for your own individual food plan.
- Grain Additions: Rice, Barley, Quinoa, Millet, Potatoes, Polenta – pick a grain, any grain!
- Protein Additions: Increase amount of sausage.
- Fat Additions: Increase amount of oil or add avocado.
- Chop about 1/3 of a pepper and 1/3 of an onion into slices or chunks, whatever you prefer.
- Sauté these in 1/2 of your oil serving on medium heat.
- When they are within a couple of minutes of being done, add two large handfuls of chopped kale and cover with a lid. Steam the kale and veggies for a couple of minutes, stirring occasionally, until the kale is wilted but brightly colored.
- Remove from heat onto the plate on top of the digital food scale.
- Weigh a protein serving’s worth of sliced veggie sausage, and sauté it in the other half of your oil serving.
- In the meantime, weigh the cooked veggies and kale and add sauerkraut until it reaches your veggie portion.
- Add the sausage to your plate. It won’t really reduce in weight after cooking, no need to weigh it again.
- Top with a big squeeze of mustard.
- Mix everything together and enjoy!