Eggplant & Zucchini Lasagna w/ Pesto Ricotta
Each Serving Contains:
- 10 oz Veggies (adjust quantity to your individual food plan)
- 1 Protein
- 1 Fat
- 3 large zucchini
- 1 large eggplant
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes (or fresh tomatoes if in season)
- 8 oz container vegan ricotta (if you can’t find this, you can always try making your own)
- Note: vegan ricotta made with nuts is 2oz per serving. If you are using dairy ricotta you can have 4oz per serving and you can double this to 16oz of ricotta, although I’ve been told that’s too much ricotta.
- 1 oz pine nuts
- 1 oz olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic (4 for the sauce, 2 for the pesto)
- 1 jar marinara sauce, 18oz (be sure to check for sweeteners)
- Fresh basil (2 large bunches or about 4 oz)
- Italian herbs
- Nutritional yeast (optional)
- Juice from half a lemon
*These measurements comply with the Bright Line Eating female weight loss food plan. Adjust quantities as needed for your own individual food plan.
- Grain Additions: I’m don’t have any good ideas for adding grain to this meal. When this happens, I will occasionally replace my grain serving with a fat serving, which here looks like increasing my oil or nuts.
- Protein Additions: Increase ricotta or nuts in the pesto, or add veggie sausage to the sauce.
- Fat Additions: Additional oil or nuts in pesto.
- Slice the zucchini and eggplant lengthwise (about 1/4 of an inch thick). Be careful not to cut them too thin or they will just roast away to thin scraggly pieces. Err on the side of too thick.
- Lightly spray with oil (optional), add salt and pepper, and roast at 400 degrees on parchment paper or a non stick surface. Roast until soft and tender, but not until they are falling apart, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the tomato sauce: Combine diced onions and 4 cloves of the garlic and sauté on medium heat, covered with a lid, until the onions are soft.
- Add the tomatoes and marinara sauce and simmer for a while, until it is a chunky, cooked, sauce consistency. Add your favorite Italian herbs if desired.
- If precise measuring is important to you, at this point, find out the weight of the roasted veggies and weight of the sauce, and add these together. This will be the veggie serving, so for 10 oz of veggies per serving and 2 oz marinara condiment, you are looking for a total of 48 oz, or 3 pounds. If it is greatly over or under this amount, you can add more onions or tomatoes, or you can note the larger quantity of veggies and account for that in your dinner portion, or you can just take some out.
- Make the pesto ricotta: In a food processor, process the basil, pine nuts, 2 cloves garlic, ricotta, oil, lemon juice, and nutritional yeast until it is a coarse, spreadable texture. Salt to taste.
- In a large lasagna pan, layer the lasagna as follows: 1/3 of the tomato sauce, half of the eggplant/zucchini, all the pesto, half of the eggplant/zucchini, 2/3 tomato sauce.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees, to let everything settle together and soak up the marinara sauce.
- Divide into 4 portions, and enjoy!
- Garnish with fresh basil, and salt & pepper.