This recipe was inspired by a recipe over at Praise of Leftovers. This is my BLE-friendly spin on it. It is a great batch cooking recipe to make and freeze for later. I’ve always got a few emergency meals in the freezer, and this is usually one of them.
Rice is a nice maintenance plan bonus, but not at all necessary. I ate this meal quite often on the weight loss food plan, and it’s very tasty without the grain. It’s just a little soupier.
Eggplant Chickpea Curry
Each Serving Contains:
- 10 oz Veggies
- 1 Protein
- 1 Fat
- 1 Grain (optional)
- 1 eggplant, (large dice)
- 1 large onion, (large dice)
- 1 large bell pepper pepper, (large dice)
- 1 can diced tomatoes, 28 oz can, with liquid
- 3 cans of chickpeas (about 30 oz beans, or 1 lb and 14 oz)
- 10 oz coconut milk (normal fat, 2 oz = 1 fat serving)
- 1 thumb grated fresh ginger
- 5 minced garlic cloves
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Juice from 1/2 of a lemon
- Fresh basil or cilantro to garnish
*These measurements comply with the Bright Line Eating female weight loss food plan. Adjust quantities as needed for your own individual food plan.
- Add 4 oz cooked grain
- I use a whole can of coconut milk which is roughly 14 oz of coconut milk, which when divided into 5 meals comes out to about 3 oz of coconut milk per serving, or 1.5 fat servings. To compensate, I replace half of my grain serving with this extra half of a fat serving, and so I use 2 oz of rice instead of 4. Replacing a grain serving with a fat serving is a common substitution for those on maintenance.
- For other protein options, try dry roasted cashews or yogurt.
- If making grain with this meal, start cooking it according to package directions.
- Add everything except the chickpeas and coconut milk to a large soup pot.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, uncovered, on medium-low heat until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Weigh the veggies at this point, note what 1/5 of the total is, that will be the veggie quantity per serving. It will vary by batch. You may need to remove a little or supplement to meet your veggie requirement.
- Weigh out the chickpeas and coconut milk, add to the pot, and simmer on low for another 5 minutes to thicken slightly.
- Separate the meal into 5 equal servings (roughly divided or precisely weighed)
- Serve with grain, if desired.
- BLE portions of coconut milk for 1 fat servings are as follows: 1 oz – coconut cream, 2 oz – coconut milk, 4 oz – light coconut milk