Lynda Hahn’s delicious baked beans recipe is well-loved and shared around fairly regularly in the BLE community. I have shared it here with her written permission. Thanks Lynda!
This recipe is done in a crockpot and takes very little active time, although you do need to soak the beans the night before (which is fine, because we plan our meals the night before anyway!) Or, the quick version would be to use canned beans, skip adding the water, and just simmer everything together until thickened.
This recipe makes many days worth of beans, approximately 8 meals, and freezes well.
Lynda's Baked Beans
Each 8 oz Serving Contains:
- 1 protein (6 oz beans)
- 2 oz condiments (from the liquid and sauce)
- 1 lb. dry navy beans or other dried white beans.
- 1 medium onion (5-6 oz), small dice
- 5-6 oz bell pepper, small dice
- 1 tsp finely chopped garlic (optional)
- 3 cups water; more as needed
- 4-5 tbsp salsa or diced tomatoes
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 tbsp chili sauce or ketchup (Use a low sugar brand if possible, but also note that it gets very diluted and in this small of an amount should not be triggering)
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce (I use Annie’s brand, it’s vegan and relatively low on sweeteners, again, the sweetness gets very diluted)
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp apple-cider vinegar
- 1 tsp liquid smoke (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- The night before, soak the 1 lb dry beans overnight, covered with a few inches of water.
- In the morning, combine all of the ingredients above in a crockpot.
- Cook in the crockpot on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to a week or freeze in serving-size portions.