This is my BLE interpretation of Allison Day’s Rainbow Slaw in her fantastic cookbook Whole Bowls. I am in a phase right now of exploring Harissa, which is a spicy and aromatic chile paste that’s a staple in North African and Middle Eastern cooking. I got the Trader Joe’s brand, because I’m too lazy to make my own, but making your own is easy too.
Rainbow Slaw w/ Oranges, Pistachios, Harissa Dressing, & Yogurt
Each Serving Contains:
- 1 Veggie Serving (adjust quantity to your individual food plan)
- 1 Protein
- 1 Fat
- 1 Fruit
- Cabbage or other cruciferous greens, shredded
- Raw carrots and beets, grated
- Cucumbers, peas, tomatoes, or whatever else you want to put on this gorgeous colorful salad!
- 3 oz cooked chickpeas (1/2 protein serving)
- 2 oz plain yogurt (1/4 protein serving)
- 0.5 oz shelled pistachios, roughly chopped (1/4 protein serving)
- Harissa Dressing
- 0.5 oz (or 1 tablespoon) olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tsp harissa paste (more to taste)
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- 6 oz navel oranges, peeled and cut crosswise into rounds
- Fresh mint or cilantro, chopped for a garnish
*These servings reflect the BLE female weight-loss food plan. Please adjust the quantities as needed for your own individual food plan.
Notes for Maintenance
- Grain Additions: Add 4 oz cooked quinoa
- Protein Additions: Increase pistachios, yogurt, or chickpeas
- Fat Additions: Increase pistachios or oil.