This amazing, simple, delicious, and nutritious meal comes from Katie Mae (the other BLE recipe rockstar who does the boot camp bonus cookbook, no, we are not the same person!) which I adapted very slightly to meet our BLE portion requirements.
The dressing and herbs are what make this salad so bright and flavorful. Normally we don’t use orange juice in Bright Line Eating, but a little bit squeezed from an orange in the context of a dressing is fine, similar to lime or lemon juice.
Note: The salad in the picture is of my maintenance portion, but this is equally delicious and filling with weight loss portions, which are listed below in the recipe, as always.
Chinese Tempeh Salad
Each Serving Contains:
- 1 Veggie Serving (adjust quantity to your individual food plan)
- 1 Protein
- 1 Fat
- Napa cabbage (or any kind of cabbage) thinly sliced
- Grated carrots
- Red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- Cucumbers, sliced
- Mung bean sprouts
- 2 oz tempeh, thinly sliced or cubed (1/2 of a protein serving)
- 1 serving of Orange-Ginger Vinaigrette (see below) (tahini contributes 1/2 of a protein serving)
Orange Ginger Vinaigrette:
- 1 medium orange, squeezed (or 3-4 tablespoons juice from an orange)
- 2 teaspoons grated or crushed fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 oz tahini or peanut butter (1/2 protein)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce or tamari
- 0.5 oz peanuts or cashews, as a garnish
- Sliced green onions
*These servings reflect the BLE female weight-loss food plan. Please adjust the quantities as needed for your own individual food plan.
Notes for Maintenance
- Grain Additions: Add quinoa, rice, or more tempeh (I use tempeh as a grain sometimes if it is multi-grain tempeh)
- Protein Additions: Add peanuts, more tempeh, or more tahini or peanut butter to dressing.
- Fat Additions: Add peanuts, or more tahini, or peanut butter to the dressing.
- Chop and weigh salad veggies.
- Make the dressing by stirring ingredients together with a fork in small bowl or jar.
- Cube tempeh and steam it, plain, for 5 minutes or so in a steamer basket, covered, with a small amount of water at the bottom of the pot.
- Assemble the salad, add nuts, chopped green onions, and cilantro.